💧Dungeon23 - Well, well, well
Level 10 - Well, well, well
Map created using a combination of Dungeonscrawl and Watabou's Cave/Glade Generator
The floor collapses beneath the heroes as they explore the Lair of the Ogre lord and they tumble down into the darkness below.
This map is a little different from previous maps in my Dungeon23 series because it incorporates a series of mini-maps covering a small grouping of areas.
Roll for damage!
If the PCs have fallen into this area via the collapsing floor in the Lair of the Ogre Lord map they tumble 50' onto the hard stone floor of Area 1 on this map and will take 5d6 damage.
There is no wandering monster chart for this map, if there are areas where there is a chance of wandering monsters it will be mentioned in the individual area description.
Area 1 - Tumble Cave
Small cave (choked with dust and rubble from recent rockfall).
The red marked area shows where the ceiling has collapsed from Area 3 on the Ogre Lord Lair map, the characters may attempt to climb but it is 50' back up a rocky, sheer surface and they risk falling.
If a PC examines the walls or is near the Southwest wall and has particularly good hearing they will hear the sound of water coming from behind the wall; the wall is thin and has less than 5' of rock at a point. If the PCs can break through it then they gain access to a narrow fissure/passageway leading to Area 2.
Area 2 - Corpse Cave
Recently dead corpse (looks to have suffered falling damage and is dressed like one of the villagers from Mistreach village).
When the infection started ravaging Mistreach one of the villagers tried to hide from their infected fellows down an old abandoned well, but they slipped and fell, crawling out of the pool and dying here.
The body of the villager has the following possessions:
- 10 SP
- A lantern (50% chance it is smashed)
- 2 Rations
- 50' of rope
- Northeast: Along the narrow fissure to Area 1.
- Southwest: Towards the sound of water in Area 3.
Area 3 - Well Bottom
Large pool (of fresh water). A thick rope (hanging down from a hold in the ceiling, indicated by the dark circle).
This pool is the bottom of an old well, the rope left hanging down was put there by the unfortunate villager in Area 2 and can be used to climb up the well,
A Deep Pool
Anyone examining the pool or looking under the water will see that there is by holding their breath and heading Southwest they can pass under the wall and emrge into Area 4.
There is a 1-in-6 chance that there is something in the water, roll this once when the PCs enter this cave, if there is something in the water, determine what by rolling on the chart below.
- Up the rope: to Area 5.
- UNDER THE WATER Southwest: to Area 4.
Area 4 - Hidden Cave
Entered by underwater route (from Area 3). Once used by pirates (for storing their treasure).
Against the far wall is the remnants of some pirate treasure, to make sure it was guarded one of the pirates was slain here and their spirit protects the treasure.
Next to the pirate, carved into the rock are the words "Our treasure is protected by the dead, touch it if ye wish to join them."
Also, if you rolled any inhabitants for the pool in Area 3 they will also have access to the pool in this area.
A skeleton lies next to the following treasure horde:
- Sword +1 (+3 vs Dragons)
- Potion of Diminution
- Treasure Map: I
However, if the PCs attempt to interfere with the treasure then the guardian spirit rouses and attacks, however it will not leave the cave so the PCs can flee should they wish.
Spectral Pirate AC 2 , HD 6xx (27 hp), Att 1 x touch (1d8 + energy drain), THAC0 14 [+5], MV 150' (50')/300' (100') flying, SV D10 W11 P12 B13 S14 (6), ML 11, AL C, XP 725
- Undead: Make no noise, until they attack. Immune to effects that affect living creatures (e.g. poison). Immune to mind-affecting or mind-reading spells (e.g. charm, hold, sleep).
- Mundane damage immunity: Can only be harmed by magical attacks.
- Energy drain: A successfully hit target permanently loses two experience levels (or Hit Dice). This incurs a loss of two Hit Dice of hit points, as well as all other benefits due to the drained levels (e.g. spells, saving throws, etc.). A character’s XP is reduced to the lowest amount for the new level. A person drained of all levels becomes a spectre next night, under the control of the spectre that killed them.
- UNDER THE WATER Northeast: to Area 3.
Area 5 - Well ledge
After climbing the rope for 50' the narrow well opens up into a ledge, if the PCs wish they can rest and catch their breath here.
- UP the rope: Another 50' to Area 6.
- DOWN the rope: 50' down to Area 3.
Area 6 - Forgotten Well
Woodland glade (surrounded by trees). Old well (in the centre of the clearing, it has no bucket but a rope is tied around the winch and descends into the darkness).
- DOWN the rope: 50' down to Area 5.
- Southwest: to Area 7.
Area 7 - Forest Glade
Unhealthy looking plants (the infection has started to spread to here).
In this clearing are many unhealthy, infected plants with strange flowers in a bewildering variety of sickening hue, local bees have been feeding on the infected nature and it has caused them to become more hostile then usual.
Infected Swarm AC 7 , HD 2 (9 hp), Att 1 x swarm (2), THAC0 18 [+1], MV 30' (10')/60' (20') flying, SV D14 W15 P16 B17 S18 (NH), ML 11, AL N, XP 20
- Size 10' x 30' area.
- Immunity: Only harmed by fire, extreme cold, sleep spells (affect the whole swarm), smoke (drives off), or other attacks as the referee wishes.
- Swarm attack: Automatically damages characters within swarm area: 2hp if wearing armour, 4hp without.
- Warding off: Characters inside the swarm who defend themselves by brandishing a weapon (or similar) suffer half damage from the swarm. A brandished torch damages the swarm.
- Escaping: On exiting the swarm, characters continue to suffer half damage until 3 rounds are spent swatting the attached insects.
- Diving into water: Suffer damage for one round, then attached insects drown.
- Pursuit: An angry (i.e. damaged) swarm will pursue characters until they are out of sight or inaccessible.
Leaving the Glade
The glade is a few miles to the Southwest of Mistreach village, this will be shown on the area hex map (to be detailed later), if characters can avoid getting lost they can find their way to any known locations in the area that are part of the forest.